Tuesday 10 July 2007

Food advertising


I was in serious trouble this weekend. Previous driving disasters meant that I was given the 'safer' job of map reading our way to Leeds Castle, rather than driving.


I sat quietly and diligently, glued to the map...until a debate about advertising junk food to children erupted. I have quite a lot of opinions about this, so we discussed it in a spirited way for about half an hour, until I was asked which junction we needed to turn off at.


Oh dear. I had no idea. One thing I did know was that we had been driving for an hour and a half. The journey should only have taken three quarters of an hour. Should I speak up and confess? I decided to keep quiet until we saw the next road sign and my incompetence could no longer be denied.


Unfortunately for me, the next sign we saw was in French, 'remember to drive on the left'.


'We're halfway to bloody France! Give me that map!'


Moral: Don't debate the rights and wrongs of advertising junk food to children while navigating. You'll get into trouble.

No comments: