Thursday 30 August 2007

I'm back!


After a fabulous holiday, I am back!

I like to try something new each time I go away, to stop myself being accused of being boring. This year it was exploring caves. Given my claustrophobia and hatred of all small spaces (particularly lifts), this was no small thing.

However, once walking the 1.7km underground, I needn't have worried. These caves were more like caverns the size of the Albert Hall. We walked along, guided only by torches and an excitable Frenchman (stupidly, we thought our 'we can get buy relatively well' French would cope with cave lingo - it was interesting) until we were ordered to turn our torches off. Apprehensively I did so, grabbing onto some poor man's arm. The electric spot lights then flickered and, suddenly, I was staring at the most wonderful prehistoric doodles. The excitable Frenchman explained that the horses and bison were believed to have religious or sexual symbolism.

I maintain that some poor caveman/woman, 1.7km into the Earth, had looked out at the miserable Pyrenean weather that morning and decided to stay in. When bored of staring at the fire, s/he decided to decorate his/her cave with pretty pictures. Or maybe it was advertising the menu for dinner? Or maybe I'm being flippant?!

No comments: