Tuesday 19 June 2007

London Logo 2012 Olympics

I have tried to resist commenting on the new Olympic logo. I generally find people who just have negative comments and no solutions very annoying, so I decided silence would be the consistent and moral course to take.

However, after a random conversation with a complete stranger about it on the tube last night, I can no longer resist.

My honest opinion is that the logo looks very dated, like graffiti on Italian trains circa 1995. It says nothing about London or Britain in 2007, let alone 2012. I appreciate that the logo is flexible, and admire the idea that it will evolve but, despite this, I am still unconvinced.

I was urged by a supporter of the logo to wait until I had seen the animated version until I judged. I did. I thought it looked even more dated when animated. Sorry.

The stranger on the train ended our conversation by sighing, staring into space and saying "I suppose we just have to hope it will grow on us".

No comments: