Wednesday 18 April 2007

Researcher Required

As a researcher for Hamish’s book, I am responsible for general project management, content research and sourcing charts. Sourcing images, it was decided, was a big enough job to merit a full-time pair of hands. We, therefore, arranged a series of graduates to do work experience; helping source electronic images and obtain permission to reproduce these images. It is not the most interesting job in the world, but great experience for any wannabe adlander, in my humble opinion.

As the last person had moved on to a job with the JJ Group, our new lady arrived yesterday. She seemed perfectly nice, albeit lacking slightly in enthusiasm. However, this I was perfectly prepared to overlook, given I had spent the last hour talking at her. Overwhelming for any man, woman or beast…

I found her a comfortable chair, got her some stationary and, once the computer had gurgled into life, I left her to read the draft manuscript, agreeing to return at 4pm to see how she was getting on.

At 3.30pm, I had a phone call. “Have you seen X?”
“No, although I am due to meet her at 4.”
“I’ll ring back in a minute.”
Ten minutes later.
“X went for lunch and hasn’t come back…”

I had tried my best to be nice.

Work experience anyone??

No comments: